Beavercreek Ohio is a suburb of Dayton. In 2007 it was listed in the 100 Best Places to Live by Money Magazine. Beavercreek in the last few years is quickly changing from a rural life to urban life. Many of the rich farm lands have been developed into fine residential areas.
The Beavercreek area was settled in the early 1800s. In 1979, a part of Beavercreek Township was incorporated and became the City of Beavercreek in February 1980. Beavercreek includes the areas known as Knollwood, Zimmermanville, New Germany, Apple Valley, Spicer, Indian Ripple, Big Beaver Valley and the village of Alpha. The township includes the area known as Trebein. The city boasts 2 golf courses, Beavercreek Golf Club (Public) and The Country Club of the North (Private). Many Beavercreek residents work at nearby Wright Patterson Air Force Base.
The Mall at Fairfield Commons and The Greene are two malls in the city. In terms of number of residents in an incorporated area, Beavercreek is 3rd in the region behind Dayton and Kettering.
Heritage Days in Beavercreek
Beavercreek Heritage Days and Herb Days are for the entire family, adults and children alike at Wartinger Historical Park, 3080 Kemp Road in Beavercreek. Admittance to the park is free, and there is free parking at the Board of Education parking lot. The handicapped entrance is next to the 1858 Tobias...Zimmer Barn. There are two restrooms located behind the fire station and near the Harshman House. This two-day event is held the third week-end in September, Sat. 10-6 and Sun. 11-5.
Wartinger Historical Park
Wartinger Park, which is owned by the City of Beavercreek and designated as an historical park is located 1/4 mile east of North Fairfield Rd. at 3080 Kemp Rd. In 1975, Mr. Charles Lofino developed a subdivision on the northeast corner of Kemp and North Fairfield Roads. At that time, Beavercreek building code stipulated that a builder must set aside "green space" for a park when laying out a development. Approximately five acres of this land were set aside for a park. Later, the southwest corner was designated for a new fire station, which left about 4.3 acres for the park itself. The park features 4 log houses and a barn dating as far back as 1803.
The 1803 Harshman House, 1805 Jarusiewic Cabin (replica), 1811 Nicodemus House, and 1828 Ankeney House. Also in the park are numerous flower and herb gardens sponsored by The Flower Trail Garden Club.
John Wartinger was the oldest son of Ken and Marie Wartinger of Beavercreek. John had worked for the Greene County Parks and Recreation Department during his college years and later at the Greene County YMCA located in Xenia. He had also worked as Safety Director for the City of Kettering and had developed the Safety Patrol Program for the Kettering School System. John refereed 5 grade basketball and was a teacher at Prasse Elementary School, so he had dedicated most of his young life to the development of children before he suffered a fatal heart attack in 1975. At the request of the Greene County Commissioners, Wartinger Park was named and dedicated as “John H. Wartinger Park” on December 6, 1975. In 1976 The Flower Trail Garden assumed care of the park as a bicentennial project. The deed for the property was turned over to the city of Beavercreek in 1983. Wartinger Park became under the jurisdiction of the Beavercreek Parks, Rec. and Culture Dept. of the City of Beavercreek.