Northwest Ohio Tourism
Support our advertisers


In 1815 a small group of settlers founded Amsden Corners in 1815 by a small group of settlers from New York. The first store was opened in 1823 by the same Thomas Amsden for whom the town was named, and although other stores followed, the rough log structure remained the general store and gathering place for many years.

Among the early business establishments were blacksmiths, wagon shops and cabinet shops, a flour mill and distillery, followed by a tannery. A law office and offices of two physicians were opened and in 1828 a post office was established known as York Cross Roads Post Office.

Railroads have long played an important part of Bellevue's history. In fact Bellevue got it's name from one of them. In the mid 1830’s James H. Bell, a civil engineer of the Madriver & Lake Erie Railroad, named the new station “Bellevue” suggestive of his name. By 1836 the post office name was changed to Bellevue.

The Nickel Plate and the Wheeling & Lake Erie railroads were located through Bellevue in 1882-83, which added several thousand people to its population by the century turn. The Pennsylvania Railroad was located through here in 1891. All are now part of the Norfolk & Southern railroad system.

Lyme Village

Lyme Village

The village centers around the Wright Mansion, built in 1880-82, furnished in Victorian period pieces, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Historic Lyme Village has guided tours 11-4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, Sunday 12-4 p.m. from June through August; Sundays only in September and October. School and group tours, weddings, receptions, meetings and picnics by appointment year round.

Historic Lyme Village is located at 5001 St. Rte. 4 between Rts. 20 and 113.

Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum

The Mad River & NKP Railroad Society Museum is the largest railroad museum in the state of Ohio. Founded in 1972 and opened in 1976 as a community bicentennial project to honor Bellevue’s history as a rail center, the museum contains a growing collection of historical and educational railroad memorabilia and artifacts.

Mad River Nickle Plate RR

Visitors are encouraged to climb aboard the many vintage cars and locomotives including the first dome car built in the U.S., a Pennsylvania Railroad RPO car, and a Wabash F-7 locomotive. There is also a watchman’s tower, depot, L.S. & M.S. section house, and a Trackside Gifts, the museum’s store. The museum is open daily from 12-4 p.m. Memorial Day to Labor Day and weekends only May through October.

Seneca Caverns

Known as “Ohio’s Greatest Natural Underground Adventure,” Seneca Caverns is located 4 miles south of Bellevue off State Route 269. The only cave of its kind open to the public in the U.S., Seneca Caverns is a memorable and educational adventure! Enjoy the cool 54 degree, 1 hour guided tour. You’ll walk 110 ft. underground through 7 levels to view “Ole Mist’ry River.” Lighting displays several varieties of fossils along with inscriptions (old graffiti) dating back to 1872.

Senaca Caverns

Pan for gemstones while waiting for your cave tour or look or shop for a collectible to remember your experience.

Seneca Caverns Summer Hours: Daily 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Spring and Fall hours: Saturday & Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.